5 Things to Do in Chiloé
Chiloé is the largest island of the Chiloé Archipelago. It is located off the coast of Chile in the Pacific Ocean. The island is a must see if you are visiting Chile, especially in the summertime.
What make this island magical and unique is its nature, beautiful landscape, world heritage sites, whales, culture and food. It is a land of mythology, ghost ships and witches.
Chiloé offers many interesting things, but we will check five most exciting ones:
1. Whale watching: Chiloé is famous for whale watching. You will get the chance to see blue and humpback whales. The best season is between December and April.
2. A world heritage site: Take time to visit churches of Chiloé. They are a combination of European and indigenous styles of architecture. Some of them are over 200 years old and you will experience their long tradition when you enter them.
3. Trekking in Tantauco: If you love the outdoors, this is your playground. After waking up in the forest and taking a swim in the lake, follow the winding path to the picturesque refuge that offers magnificent view of the lake. If you are an experienced trekker, you can try the longest Tantauco trek that takes up to 9 days. You can get more information about it here.
4. Food: Closed-off from the rest of the Chile for a long time with no bridge, the culture of the island remained well-preserved. Naturally, the food in Chiloé is one of a kind. I recommend you to try “curanto”, a steam cooked meal made in a hole in the ground with an amazing amount of shellfish.
5. A unique experience: People of Chiloé are very friendly. You can have an amazing experience if you are opened enough. Maybe you will take a ride with a fisherman or have a meal with the owner of the restaurant and end up in the kitchen with him and his family. Anything is possible in Chiloé .
If you are coming to Chile, the southern island of Chiloé is one magical place you shouldn’t miss.
How to get there? You can take a 15-hour bus ride from Santiago or the new LAN service departing from the capital 4 days a week. Southern Chile is closer than you think!
Where to stay? Recently a unique hotel opened up on the island, which offers 12 exclusive rooms for its guests. It is called Refugia Hotel. This is a perfect place to relax and renew yourself.
9 Days | Air Inclusive
Torres del Paine & Australis Cruises: Punta Arenas, Almirantazgo Bay, Parry Glacier, Ainsworth Bay, Brookes Glacier & Magdalena Island