LAN provides special services for our passengers with special needs. Please request these services through our Contact Center or at any LAN office.
Pets and other animals
You may transport household pets (such as dogs, cats and small ornamental birds) that meet the legal restrictions imposed by the country they are entering and which have the proper documentation. These animals will be kept in the aircraft's hold. Only service animals will be allowed into the cabin and only if the route allows it.
Other species of animals (and unaccompanied pets) will only be transported via LANCARGO.
You must bear the following in mind:
- This service must be requested through our Contact Center or LAN Sales Office at least 48 hours prior to the flight since it requires confirmation.
- Transport is subject to an excess baggage charge as an extra piece of baggage under the same policies and rules of charges according to weight ranges applied to pieces of normal baggage, excepting the transport of seeing-eye dogs, service monkeys accompanied by their owners and rescue dogs. For additional information please contact our Contact Center.
- Animals must be at least eight weeks old.
- It is the passenger’s responsibility to find out about the requirements and legal and sanitary restrictions both in the destination country, as well as in stopover and connecting countries in their itinerary.
* Brachycephalic or pug-nosed cats or dogs cannot be loaded into the plane´s hold.
This is due to the fact that these breeds´ anatomy makes them more susceptible to asphyxiation during the flight, thus making their transport risky.
The company will no longer confirm these services from December 6 onwards. However, services confirmed beforehand will be respected and these animals boarded once at the airport.
- Width: must allow the animal to turn round (equivalent to twice its width).
- Length: must allow the animal to lie down normally.
- Ventilation: one end must be completely open (this can be the door). Must have upper ventilation holes on the three remaining sides, as well as bars with spaces between them to prevent the holes from being blocked by other luggage.
- The container must be labeled with the pet’s name.
- Material: must be made of resistant and animal and filter-proof material (with absorbent material on the floor), as well as have a door with either a padlock or a lock that cannot be opened accidentally or by the animal itself from inside (cardboard boxes are not accepted).
- A label indicating ‘Live Animals’ should be stuck to the container or cage.
Next is the list of breeds of brachycephalic dogs and cats that will not be boarded:
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Boxer (todas las razas)
- Grifón de Bruselas
- Bulldog (todas las razas)
- Cane Corso
- Dogo de Burdeos
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastín (todas las razas)
- Pit Bull
- Presa Canario
- Pug (todas las razas)
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- Spaniel tibetano
- Exotic Shorthair