Traveling with kids
Travelling with your family? Find out all you need to know about travelling with children and unaccompanied minors. Take it easy, knowing that our onboard and airport staff will be available to make your trip as comfortable and relaxing as possible for both you and your child.
The unaccompanied minor (UM) service is available for minors aged between 5 and 17 travelling alone. This service involves the child being in the custody of LAN personnel during the whole flight, including stopovers and being accompanied by them until they are handed over at their destination to the indicated responsible adult.
If you require this service, you cannot make your purchase through LAN.com. Bookings and the unaccompanied minor service should be requested through a LAN sales office or our Contact Center and payment made through a sales office. You should only purchase your ticket after the service has been confirmed.
Requesting this service
This service should be requested at least 24 hours before the flight and is valid for all flights operated by LAN and all connections during the same day and airport. Flights with connections that require an overnight stay or connections operated by other airlines are not allowed, nor is this service available for code-share flights, even if they involve flights operated by LAN.
This service may be optional or obligatory depending on the minor's age:
- Children from 0 to 4 years old are not eligible for the unaccompanied minor service.
- The service is obligatory for minors between 5 and 11 who are travelling alone.
- The service is optional for children between 12 and 17. Except on flights to, from or via Ecuador, where the age range is from 12 to 14 years old.
Unaccompanied minors with disabilities will be allowed to fly as long as they can physically contribute to their evacuation, as well as understand and respond to safety instructions and meet their own dietary and hygiene needs.
For safety reasons, the number of children travelling alone on each flight is limited depending on the number of seats on the plane, which is why we recommend requesting this service with the due anticipation.
Changes to flights are subject to the regulations of the purchased airfare. We therefore suggest you request the service first and then buy the ticket.
- For the child to be able to fly, the request must have been previously confirmed by LAN. Important: minors for whom this service has not been confirmed will be denied boarding.
- Arrive at the airport with plenty of time to check in. The person responsible for the children should complete the Transport of Minors form, which is provided at the counter.
- The adult responsible for the minor must wait at the airport until the flight has departed.
- The adult requesting the service is responsible for checking the legal requirements or documents required for the minor to travel to and from the countries of arrival and departure.
- This service is recommended for direct flights, so as to avoid connections or being in transit.
- For safety reasons, the unaccompanied minor service is provided for minors who are self-sufficient and in good health. Minors who need to take medication during the trip or who cannot meet their basic needs must travel in the company of an adult.
- All hand luggage should be duly labeled and include only what is essential for the trip. Carrying valuables should be avoided.
On domestic routes in Chile (including Easter Island), Peru, Argentina and Ecuador, there is a service charge of US$15 per flight. For domestic flights in Colombia, there is a service charge of $50.000 Colombian pesos (approx. US$25).
For international routes, there is a charge of US$ 100 for each origin-destination.
In countries where local regulations establish the payment of taxes, VAT will be added when payment is made.