Children and babies on board
Children can also fly with LAN. They can travel alone or accompanied by an adult.
Children traveling alone
LAN offers the Unaccompanied Minor service (UM), which ensures that children reach their destination safely. LAN staff will take care of them throughout the journey, including stopovers, and will hand them over to the person responsible at the end of the journey.
Who is eligible for the service?
Children aged 5-11
May travel alone as long as parents or legal guardians arrange for the Unaccompanied Minor service.
Children aged 12-17
May travel alone. If parents or legal guardians so wish, they may arrange for this service on an optional basis.
Do you need the Unaccompanied Minor service?
- It is important that you buy your ticket only when the service has been confirmed.
- The child's guardian must come to one of our desks to fill in an Unaccompanied Minor's Travel Authorization. Please ensure that you provide the following information when completing the authorization form at the airport:
a) Name, last name and age of unaccompanied minor;
b) Name, last name, telephone number and address of the guardian at the departure airport, and
c) Name, last name, telephone number and address of the guardian at the destination airport.
- This service is not available for children who require a medical certificate to fly.
- To use this service, children must be able to feed themselves and meet basic hygiene needs. They must also be able to move themselves in case of an evacuation and respond to safety instructions.
- It is forbidden for minors to travel with pets in the aircraft cabin or in the hold.
- This service is only available on itineraries involving flights operated by LAN or TAM. If your itinerary includes a layover, minors may travel alone provided the layover does not exceed four hours.
- You can request to be refunded for the service, with no penalty charge.
On international flights, all minors, whether traveling alone or accompanied, must carry with them their birth certificate or family record book.
How much does this service cost?
- Domestic routes in Chile, Argentina and Ecuador: US$15 per flight.
- Domestic routes in Colombia: $50.000 Colombian pesos.
- Domestic routes in Peru: US$25.
- International routes: US$100.
These prices may be subject to taxes in your country of origin. If you require any further information, please contact our Contact Center.