Destination guide: Cajamarca, Peru

Cajamarca is in northern Peru in the western Andes and is home to both mountains and jungle. The city was originally inhabited by the Huacaloma, Layzon, Cumbe Mayo and Otuzco tribes, who left behind an important cultural legacy.

In fact, Cajamarca is an important part of the Historical and Cultural Heritage of the Americas, a title it received in 1986 from the Organization of American States (OAS). This is not all though, since Cajamarca is also known as the capital of the Peruvian carnival.

  • Cajamarca - Practical Information


    Nuevo Sol


    Spanish (Castilian), Aymara, Quechua.


    UTC/GMT -5


    With a few exceptions (notably some Asian, African and communist countries), visas are not required for travelers entering Peru. Tourists are permitted a 30- to 90-day stay, which is stamped into their passports and onto a tourist card, called a Tarjeta Andina de Migración (Andean Immigration Card), that you must return upon leaving the country. The actual length of stay is determined by the immigration officer at the point of entry. Be careful not to lose your tourist card, or you will have to queue up an oficina de migraciones (immigration office), also simply known as migraciones, for a replacement card. It’s a good idea to carry your passport and tourist card on your person at all times, especially when traveling in remote areas (it’s required by law on the Inca Trail). For security, make a photocopy of both documents and keep them in a separate place from the originals.

    Thirty-day extensions cost about US$50 and can be obtained at immigration offices in major cities, with Lima being the easiest place to do this. There are also immigration offices in Arequipa, Cuzco, Iquitos, Puerto Maldonado, Puno and Trujillo, as well as near the Chilean and Ecuadorian borders. You can keep extending your stay up to 180 days total. Anyone who plans to work, attend school or reside in Peru for any length of time must obtain a visa in advance. Do this through the Peruvian embassy or consulate in your home country.