Traveling with kids
Travelling with your family? Find out all you need to know about travelling with children and unaccompanied minors. Take it easy, knowing that our onboard and airport staff will be available to make your trip as comfortable and relaxing as possible for both you and your child.
Travelling with your family
For children, flying is always a special experience. For this reason, LAN will do everything in its power to guarantee your wellbeing and comfort both on board and at the airport. If you want to be completely prepared for the specific needs of your children on trips, we recommend you read the information we have provided, since your trip will be a pleasure for everyone travelling if you have prepared for it in advance.
An accompanied minor is a child under 12 travelling with a responsible adult. In exceptional cases, minors aged between 12 and 17 can travel with another minor between 5 and 11, but only on a one-to-one basis. In other words, a passenger between 12 and 17 cannot travel with:
- Two or more children.
- Under 5s.
When booking, remember that you should consider the age of the minor on the date of travel in order to obtain the correct fare for each passenger.
We would like to remind you that minors travelling with only one parent must have all the documentation required both for the country they will depart from as well as for their destination.
Are you traveling with children?
Children (younger than 2 years)
- You may travel with your child on your lap if he or she is younger than two years old.
- You may also purchase a ticket for your child to travel seated next to you. If you choose this option, your child must travel in a child safety seat approved for use in aircraft or with a child safety device (The Aviation Child Safety Device may be used only in the Economy or Premium Economy cabin.). Both items must be identified as "suitable for use in aircraft" and must be provided by the parents.
- For safety reasons, only one child may travel for each adult older than 18.
- On an exceptional basis, 2 children may travel with one adult, provided that the second child has his or her own seat on the plane.
- If your child is younger than 7 days old, he or she must travel with a Medical Certificate.
Children who will turn 2 during the trip
- If your child will turn 2 during the trip, you must purchase a ticket to ensure his or her return trip.
- You may opt to purchase a round-trip child fare ticket, or to purchase a ticket only for the necessary segments. Remember that until the day your child turns 2, he or she must travel with a child safety seat approved for use in aircraft.
Passengers travelling with infants can request a crib through our Contact Center or any LAN office.
- This service is available only for rates that allow a seat to be reserved ahead of time.
- You must request the service at least 24 hours before the flight.
- It is offered on flights operated on Boeing 767, Boeing 787 and Airbus 340 aircraft.
- To ensure the infant’s comfort and safety, cribs can only be used by infants weighing less than 10 kilos (22.5 lbs) and measuring less than 71cm. (28 inches), irrespective of their age.
Meals for children
Passengers who would like a meal that is different to the normal one provided should request this service through our Contact Center or any LAN office, 48 hours in advance. This service is only available for international flights, except on routes where there is no meal service and just a snack offered, for example Santiago-Mendoza.