LAN provides special services for our passengers with special needs. Please request these services through our Contact Center or at any LAN office.
Pets and other animals
You may transport pets (cats and dogs) that meet the legal limitations and have the documentation required by the country that they will enter. Pets will be transported in the aircraft hold. As an exception, service or assistance animals may travel in the aircraft cabin when the route allows.*
Other species of animals and unaccompanied pets will be transported only by LAN CARGO.
To travel with your pet, it is important to keep the following points in mind:
- Request the service by calling the Contact Center or LAN Sales Office, at least 48 hours prior to the flight, since confirmation is required.
- When calling, have the dimensions of the container or cage close at hand, since you will be asked for this information in order to book the service. The maximum dimensions allowed are: 61 cm high x 64 cm wide x 94 cm long (24 in. high x 25 in. wide x 37 in. long).
- Transporting an animal is subject to payment of an excess baggage charge, for an additional item of baggage, in accordance with the same policies and rules on weight charges that apply to normal baggage. Service animals are transported free of charge, provided that their status is certified:
- Guide dogs
- Search and rescue dogs.
- You may bring up to 2 pets, each of which must travel in its own container and be more than eight weeks old. No animals may be sedated during travel.
- Height: must allow the animal to stand without any part of its body touching the top of the container or cage.
- Width: must allow the animal to turn around (equivalent to two times the width of the animal).
- Length: must allow your pet to lie down normally.
- Material: the container or cage must be strong, made from a material that the animal cannot destroy, be leakproof, have absorbent material at the bottom, and have a door that is secured (with a padlock or seal) and that cannot be opened inadvertently or by the animal from within the container or cage (cardboard boxes will not be accepted).
- Ventilation: the container or cage must have one end that is completely open (which may be the door) and ventilation holes at the tops of the other three sides, as well as spacer bars to keep the ventilation holes from being covered by other baggage.
- Identification: The container must be marked with the pet´s name, and a “Live Animals” label must be affixed to it.
Remember Learn about the legal and health requirements and restrictions that may apply to animals in your country of destination, and at any stopovers and connections that your itinerary may include, from each country´s health authorities.
(*) En route to the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, no pets of any kind may be transported.
Transport restriction for brachycephalic or snub-nosed breeds of pets
Restrictions apply to the loading in the aircraft hold of all brachycephalic and snub-nosed dog and cat breeds. This is due to the fact that these breeds´ anatomy makes them more susceptible to asphyxiation during the flight, thus making their transport risky.
Next is the list of breeds of brachycephalic dogs and cats that will not be boarded:
Pictures of breeds that are not allowed: