LAN Airlines receives first Boeing 787 Dreamliner in the Americas
LAN Airlines, one of Latin America’s leading passenger and cargo airlines, today became the first airline in the Americas (and one of the first in the world) to receive the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Equipped with the latest technology, the aircraft will revolutionize the airline industry.
LAN will receive 32 of this new aircraft over the next ten years, with the first three to be delivered this year. The $4.9 billion order represents one of the largest investments in the airline's history.
Top LAN executives, Boeing representatives, and authorities celebrated the delivery of LAN's first 787 at an event at the Boeing factory near Seattle including LAN Airlines CEO Ignacio Cueto. The LAN team directly involved in the project was recognized in addition to the over 1,000 team members who were trained over the past two and a half years especially for the delivery and operation of the aircraft.
LAN Airlines’ CEO, Ignacio Cueto, stressed the importance of the delivery for the Company and celebrated the benefits this aircraft will have both for the regional aviation industry and the travel experience of passengers:
“LAN is proud to be the first airline in the Americas to receive the 787 Dreamliner,” said Ignacio Cueto, CEO LAN Airlines. "This is not only a milestone for LAN, but also for all of our passengers that will experience an enhanced LAN in-flight experience thanks to the cutting edge technology and visionary elements of this new aircraft. The Dreamliner will make it possible for us to cover greater distances in a more environmentally conscious and highly efficient aircraft which will help ensure our sustainable growth“.
“LAN has clearly become the leader in aviation in Latin America and across the globe due to its strong leadership, unrivaled customer service, and commitment to technology and innovation,” said Van Rex Gallard, Vice President of Sales for Latin America, Africa, & Caribbean, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. “The addition of the 787 to the LAN fleet will help them maintain that leadership edge by increasing their global presence and bringing a new and exciting flying experience to more passengers in more locations around the world.”
Peter Turner, Customer Vice President, Civil Aerospace, Rolls Royce stated: “We are proud to support such a significant moment both for LAN and air transport in the Americas. The Trent 1000, designed exclusively for this aircraft, offers exceptional financial and environmental benefits and we look forward to playing our part in providing another excellent customer entry into service with this engine”.
The first cities served by the LAN fleet of 787s are Santiago, Buenos Aires, Lima, Los Angeles, Madrid, and Frankfurt. The aircraft will begin to fly commercially over the next few months, and these routes will be added gradually during its first year of operation.
THE ALL-NEW CABIN OF THE LAN 787 AND THE TRAVEL EXPERIENCE
As part of LAN’s continual innovation process and concern for giving its passengers the best possible travel experience, the Company has applied the latest in design trends to the 787 cabin with a focus on a comfortable experience with the charm of South America. These have been inspired by the warm colors and textures of South America and reflect the attention to detail, reliability, and warmth that characterize the Company.
One of the new features offered in the new Premium Business class cabin is a 100% horizontal full flat seat with the same dimensions of our current seat that includes: an ottoman (feet support), a memory system that records the seat position chosen by the user, apart from lumbar massage.
The new Economy class features reclining ergonomic seats, which have a head support with 4 positions along with bright warm colored blankets and head-sets that invoke the chromatic tonalities of South America.
The cabin configuration aboard LAN's first 787-8 will be 217 seats in Economy and 30 seats in Premium Business.
Entertainment onboard the LAN 787
In terms of onboard entertainment, passengers traveling on the LAN Boeing 787 will enjoy new features including high-definition screens using the latest touch technology (9” in Economy and 15.4” in Premium Business) and new data ports compatible with Apple® devices, tablets, cell phones, digital cameras, and USB devices.
The new travel experience on board LAN’s Boeing 787
Committed to caring for our customers and the environment, this aircraft offers:
• An innovative, modern and harmonious design.
• With electronic auto-dimming windows and dynamic lighting to create a better atmosphere. Thus, preparing the passenger for the different stages during the flight (day, night, etc.), and for the time zone to which it is arriving.
• Larger windows: the windows of this aircraft have up to 40% more surface area than current windows, which will allow all passengers (in all rows) more visibility during the flight, giving them a better view.
• Overhead bins with 30% more storage space for carryon luggage.
• The aerodynamics of the Boeing 787 incorporate technology that reduces the impact felt by the passenger due to turbulence. In addition, the pressurization of the cabin to a lower altitude (6,000 feet instead of 8,000) would result in the reduction of headaches or other symptoms a passenger might experience when flying.
• The cabin includes new air humidification techniques, significantly reducing fatigue and dryness associated with long trips.
• The passenger may have a more enjoyable trip thanks to the technology in their engines that make them less noisy from both inside and outside the aircraft.
Some of the environmental benefits of the 787
• An emission of up to 20% less of CO2 than similar aircraft.
• Up to 40% less noise footprint than similar aircraft on takeoff, the period of greatest noise in flight.
• 50% of the structure is a carbon fiber composite material, which makes it a first in the industry, this material being more resistant to fatigue and corrosion. This allows, moreover, that the manufacturing process will produce less non-recyclable waste.
About the engine for LAN 787 fleet
• The Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 has been designed and optimized exclusively for operation on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. In October 2011, it became the first engine to power the 787 Dreamliner in service. New technologies in aerodynamics, materials and coatings were incorporated to support Boeing’s low emissions requirement.