Travel to Chiclayo, Peru - Visit South AmericaDestination guide: Chiclayo, Peru

Chiclayo is in north-western Peru, near the border with Ecuador. Its main attractions are pre-Inca archaeological remains and its cuisine.

Chiclayo is also known as the "City of Friendship" due to the warmth and hospitality of its inhabitants.

Fly with LAN and visit the Huaca Rajada archaeological complex or the Señor del Sipan, the ruins of ancient civilizations and beach resorts such as Pimentel, where you can see the typical reed boats that are made in Peru.

Content provided by Lonely Planet.

Chiclayo - Practical Information


Nuevo Sol


Spanish (Castilian), Aymara, Quechua.



Weights & Measures



With a few exceptions (notably some Asian, African and communist countries), visas are not required for travelers entering Peru. Tourists are permitted a 30- to 90-day stay, which is stamped into their passports and onto a tourist card, called a Tarjeta Andina de Migración (Andean Immigration Card), that you must return upon leaving the country.

The actual length of stay is determined by the immigration officer at the point of entry. Be careful not to lose your tourist card, or you will have to queue up an oficina de migraciones (immigration office), also simply known as migraciones, for a replacement card. It’s a good idea to carry your passport and tourist card on your person at all times, especially when traveling in remote areas (it’s required by law on the Inca Trail). For security, make a photocopy of both documents and keep them in a separate place from the originals.

Thirty-day extensions cost about US$50 and can be obtained at immigration offices in major cities, with Lima being the easiest place to do this. There are also immigration offices in Arequipa, Cuzco, Iquitos, Puerto Maldonado, Puno and Trujillo, as well as near the Chilean and Ecuadorian borders. You can keep extending your stay up to 180 days total.

Anyone who plans to work, attend school or reside in Peru for any length of time must obtain a visa in advance. Do this through the Peruvian embassy or consulate in your home country.