Help us make your flight as comfortable as possible. At LAN we offer solutions for various needs. Request them in advance at our Contact Center or LAN offices.
Traveling with animals
On LAN you can take your pet in the airplane’s hold. Review the conditions according to the service you need.
You can bring your pet into the economy cabin of the airplane if you comply with the requirements and make sure there is availability on the flight. You must request this service 48 hours prior to your flight.
- You can travel with only one pet at a time.
- Only cats and dogs over 8 weeks old can travel in the cabin. Other types of animals have to travel in LAN Cargo.
- Available on domestic and international flights, on Airbus 319, 320, 321 and Dash planes. You can review this information in step 2 of your purchase on LAN.com. This service is also offered by TAM, which means that you can fly with both airlines in the same trip.
- You will need a certificate from a veterinarian, issued up to 10 days before the flight, confirming that your pet is in good health to travel. Keep in mind that the health authorities at layover points or at your destination could request specific documentation, such as a vaccination record or medical history form, which you should have before you board. If you do not have it, you will not be able to travel with your pet. Review reference information at www.iatatravelcenter.com and contact the consulate or health authority of the countries you will visit.
What conditions does my pet have to comply with in the cabin?
It should travel inside a hard or soft pet container that has the following maximum dimensions:
Hard container Soft container
14'L x 13'W x 7'H 14'L x 13'W x 9'H
- Make sure to use a container that has adequate ventilation, a waterproof base and that closes so your pet cannot get out during the flight. The dog or cat should have enough space to be able to stand up, move and turn around easily.
- The total weight of the pet plus its pet carrier cannot be more than 15 lbs.
- Your pet cannot travel while sedated and must stay inside the container during the entire flight.
- The pet container must remain under the seat in front of you; therefore, we cannot seat you in the front row or exit row.
- Children under 12 years of age who are traveling alone cannot travel with pets in the cabin. Passengers who are traveling with a POC (portable oxygen concentrator for sleep apnea), due to space limitations, also cannot travel with pets in the cabin.
How much does this service cost?
- Routes within Colombia: $20 USD
- Routes within Ecuador: $50 USD
- Routes within Peru: $30 USD1
- Routes within other countries: $100 USD
- International routes: $200 USD
Not including sales tax in some countries.
Keep in mind that if your flight includes a stop that allows you to leave the airport, you will have to pay again for the service through your final destination.
How do I request this service?
As this service is subject to availability, we recommend that you request it as soon as you make your reservation or at least 48 hours before your flight departure. You can do so in any of our Sales Offices or by calling our Contact Center.1 Services requested from the December 15, 2014.
Traveling with pets inside the cabin is a service additional to passenger travel. We therefore remind you that ticket exchanges or refunds are subject to the conditions of the fare paid.
Remember, if your trip includes a flight with TAM, you must make sure that the service is confirmed for all your flights.
What pets can travel?
Only dogs and cats more than 8 weeks old can travel in the aircraft hold, subject to excess baggage transport conditions. You can bring up to two animals in separate containers, but pets cannot be transported under sedation.
All other types of animal must be transported in a LAN Cargo aircraft.
Bear in mind that on code-share flights, the conditions of the airline with the greater restrictions will apply. Don't forget to check these conditions and restrictions before you travel.
Take care of your pet
In order to improve the standards of security and protect the integrity of the pets, the following breeds of cats and dogs listed below are limited, so they cannot accompany you on your journey.
Restricted dog breeds:
- A. Staffordshire Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Boxer (all races)
- Bull Mastiff
- Bull Terrier
- Bulldog (all races)
- Chow Chow
- Italian Mastiff
- Argentinian Mastiff
- Bordeaux Mastiff
- English Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- English Toy Spaniel
- Brazilian Mastiff
- Brussels Griffin
- Japanese Chin
- Anatolian Shepherd Dog
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all races)
- Pit Bull
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Pit Bull Terrier Americano
- Presa Canario
- Pug (all races)
- Chinese Shar-pei
- Shih Tzu
- Tibetan Spaniel
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Japanese Tosa
Restricted cat breeds:
- Burmese cat
- Himalayan cat
- Persian cat
- Exotic Shorthair cat
The breeds of dogs and cats brachycephalic (short-muzzled) from this list may not travel on our flights, or in the cabin or in the hold of the aircraft.
How do you request the service?
As this service is subject to availability, you should request it at the time of purchase at one of our Sales Offices or call our Contact Center when booking through LAN.com. You must submit your request at least 48 hours before your flight.
What is required?
When you call, you must provide details of the age, weight, size and breed of the pet, and of the type of cage it will be traveling in.
Make sure your pet has a comfortable and safe journey. Consult a specialist store and carefully read the conditions stipulated below for the cage and your pet.
Dimensions and Weight
There must be a distance of at least 5 cm (2 inches) between your pet's head and the top of the cage (with your pet standing). The cage must be at least twice as wide as the animal, and it must be long enough that your pet can lie down without touching the sides. The maximum dimensions permitted for a pet cage are 94 cm (37 inches) long x 64 cm (25.2 inches) wide x 61 cm (24 inches) high. The maximum weight allowance, which includes the carrier, is 45 kg. (100 pounds). However, if you travel to or from Argentina, Europe or Australia, the maximum weight allowance is 32 kg. (70 pounds) including the carrier.
Solid, waterproof and with an absorbent floor.
Has a safety lock and can only be opened from the outside.
The cage must have one open end, holes in the three other walls and spacer bars to prevent other luggage from interfering with air circulation.
Write the name of your pet and attach a label that says "Live Animal".
You can take up to two pets in separate containers. No pet may travel under sedation.
Are you traveling abroad?
Each country has its own regulations on admitting pets. Contact the health authority in your destination and/or transit country to learn about the rules and documentation needed for transporting your pet. It is not permitted to transport animals to the Galápagos Islands.
How much does this service cost?
Bear in mind that the cost of the service is per flight and that the rate will depend on the weight of your pet and cage and the flight route. Also, pricing always comes under the excess baggage transport conditions, even if you are traveling without luggage.
Guide dogs and emotional assistance dogs travel free of charge, but they must be duly certified and have documentation.
For further details, please get in touch with our Contact Center.
Transportation of Emotional Assistance Dogs for the United States and Mexico
You may request the transportation of emotional assistance dogs on LAN flights only for routes:
- From or to the United States
- From or to Mexico (starting on November 20, 2014)
This service will not be offered for trips to other destinations. You may request this for your entire itinerary as long as health requirements in the arrival and/or transit countries allow it.
If you have this service confirmed before the suspension date and you make a change to travel at a later time, please visit one of our offices or call us at the Contact Center.
In order to travel with your emotional assistance dog you must submit a medical certificate on the letterhead of your psychologist, psychiatrist or specialist doctor (in the case of the United States, your Licensed Clinical Social Worker) when making the reservation and when boarding. The document must be no more than one year old and must contain a clinical diagnosis in which it is explicitly stated that your pet is indispensable to you.
Please inform us of your requirements when you are buying your ticket at our Sales Office or call us at our Contact Center after making your purchase at LAN.com. Remember that you can request this service up to 48 hours before your flight.
On the day you travel, ensure that:
- Your dog is wearing a leash or harness.
- You must take a muzzle to use on board if necessary. On LAN Airlines and LAN Express flights, it is compulsory to use a muzzle at all times during the flight, except on flights from Brazil.
- Travels in the space available below the seat in front, at the feet of the passenger transporting it. If your dog does not fit or behaves aggressively, it will have to travel in the hold of the aircraft, provided it meets the requirements outlined in the section entitled “Pets in the Hold.”
- Remember you may not feed it while on board the aircraft.