Everything you need to know about traveling with baggage is provided below.
Oversized sporting or musical equipment may be considered part of the free checked baggage allowance provided that they do not exceed the permitted allowance (according to the route and flight cabin). If they exceed it, excess baggage fee is charged in accordance with the current policy regarding regular baggage.
Other types of oversized items must be transported via LANCARGO.
In any event, articles allowed must also meet the following requirements:
You must bear the following in mind:
- Special items should be packaged accordingly within a piece of luggage (a bag or box specially designed for transportation).
- The volume of the packed piece does not exceed 203 cm excepting for surf boards, which can have a maximum volume of 300 cm.
- That each piece does not exceed 23 kilograms in weight. By paying the excess corresponding to the route, the maximum weight may reach to 45 kilos; except on connections with Iberia, British Airways, and Qantas and on flights to/from Europe or Oceania on which the maximum weight is 32 kilograms.
- Must meet the security conditions required for baggage and may not transport prohibited items.
- Items such as windsurfing boards, kayaks, canoes and paddles, hang gliders, vaulting poles, and javelins may only be transported via LANCARGO.
- If you bring your bike, you go with one of the wheels removed (preferably the front wheel) and both wheels without air. The handles must be fixed sideways and pedals ben be removed; otherwise they should come with some material to prevent damage to other items.
- In the case of fragile items, these must be transported in custom-designed containers. If you do bring your instrument into the cabin with you, it must be in its case.
- If the instrument meets the established weight and dimensions requirements, it may travel in the cabin. Otherwise, it will have to travel in the hold of the aircraft.
- The guitars soft case can be introduced into the aircraft cabin as long as space is available for this instrument. If you wear with a hard case you will have to be sent as checked baggage.
NOTE: LAN's liability for damages incurred by these items (sporting or musical) is limited to what is established by law and existing international treaties.